Spinal Cord Injury
| Brain Injury
| General Rehab
| Neuro Rehab
| Back in Action
| TRC at Woldenberg Village
The Neurological Rehabilitation Center at Touro Rehabilitation Center (“TRC”) has specialized in the treatment of clients with brain injury, strokes, spinal cord injuries or other neurological injury or illness using a community integrative approach for over 20 years. The Neurological Rehabilitation Center team focuses on returning the client to the highest level of functioning possible, while emphasizing strengths and accommodating unique needs.
The Neurological Rehabilitation Center offers the following services and care.
PT, OT, and Speech
Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology services are offered at Touro's Neuro Rehabilitation Center. Therapists specialize in treating patients with neurological diagnoses and employ a team approach to treatment planning and goal setting. Treatment methods are tailored to the needs of the clients; clients may be treated one to one or in a group session.
Below are some of the areas that therapists may address with the clients in therapy:
- Safety Awareness
- Advanced Activities of Daily Living Skills
- Home Management Tasks
- Motor Planning and Balance
- Gait retraining including instruction in the use of assistive devices for walking
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation to facilitate functional movement
- Treatment to improve oral weakness and swallowing
- Strength and Coordination
- Community Ambulation
- Problem Solving Skills
- Functional Organization Skills
- Strategies to improve and sustain attention
- Memory Strategies
The Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist works on community reintegration by teaching clients how to use community resources and allowing them to practice navigating common leisure sites (i.e. restaurants, movie theaters, etc.). The therapist will utilize a wide range of techniques, strategies and activities to accomplish this goal.
The neuropsychologist can provide neuropsychological evaluations, neuro cognitive therapy or psychotherapy. These services can be valuable for neuro rehabilitation patients in facilitating awareness, assisting in adjustment to the changes caused by disability and easing integration into the community.
Comprehensive Day Program
Clients in the comprehensive day program receive 5-7 hours of formalized treatment daily and the goal of this intensive program is to return the client to the highest level of functioning possible. Typically a client in the day program will receive physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, therapeutic recreation and neuropsychological services. This program is open Monday through Friday. To qualify for this program the client must possess the endurance to complete 5-7 hours of therapy per day, must be continent for bowel and bladder, have no significant behavioral problems and have no significant medical or wound care needs. This is an outpatient program and does not have nursing services.
Certified Driving Program
Touro Rehabilitation Center’s driver assessment and rehabilitation program is a Louisiana Rehabilitation Services-approved provider. Our occupational therapist is a certified driver rehabilitation specialistand offers clients a clinical screening, an in-car evaluation, and driver's training with adapted equipment. Recommendations regarding client performance, future needs, adaptive equipment (if needed), suggested therapy or activities that may be useful are prepared for the client and the referring physician.
Driver’s training and instruction is also provided in the use of certain assistive devices for driving, such as hand controls, left side accelerators, and steering devices.
- Spinal Cord Injury Support Group - The Neuro Rehabilitation Center offers an outpatient spinal cord injury support group the second Saturday of each month. If you would like to join the support group, please call Jim Ghere, Case Manager at (504) 897-8419 or email him at James.Ghere@touro.com for more details.
- Brain Injury and Stroke Support Group – The Neuro Rehabilitation Center also offers a brain injury and stroke support group, which meets the first Tuesday for each month. If you would like more information on this support group, please call Vera DeLuca, Rehab Counselor at (504) 897-8476 or email her at Vera.Deluca@touro.com.
For more information about the Neuro Rehabilitation Center or to make a referral, please call (504) 897-8642 or email NeuroRehabCenter@touro.com