Cauliflower is making its big comeback this year, and people are sneaking it into everything. It is a great way to add in fiber. It also makes a nutritious, low carb addition to your potato salad.
Cauliflower Potato Salad
- 1½ pounds small new red and/or purple potatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 cups small Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup sliced green onions
Place potatoes in a 6-qt. pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 6 minutes. Add cauliflower; cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes more. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool and drain again.
Combine mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, salt and pepper in a very large bowl. Add the cooked vegetables, bell pepper and green onions and toss to coat. Top with freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Serve chilled.
Julie Fortenberry is a registered dietitian at Touro Infirmary. She obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Southern Mississippi. Julie believes that lifestyle changes and wholesome nutrition are obtainable, and brings real-life understanding to wellness and nutritional counseling.