- 3-4 Medium Sweet Potatoes (buy local)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Paprika
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Large Bag of Fresh Spinach (10oz bag)
- ¼ Cup of Craisins (optional)
- ¼ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2-3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dice Sweet Potatoes, place on large sheet pan, toss with Olive Oil, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Paprika.
- Place in oven for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender. Set aside and let cool.
- Combine Quinoa and 2 Cups of Water in saucepan. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes with lid on or until the water has completely absorbed. Turn off heat, remove lid, and set aside. Fluff Quinoa with fork while preparing other ingredients
- Cut avocado, remove pit and dice.
- In large bowl mix together Spinach, Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes, Quinoa, Avocado, and ¼ Cup of Craisins, toss. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
- Dressing instructions: whisk all ingredients together and drizzle on salad
Sarah Newton is a Registered Dietitian with an advanced degree in nutrition. She obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from Louisiana State University, then furthered her education with a Master’s of Science and internship from University of Southern Mississippi. Sarah works to provide Medical Nutrition Therapy for both inpatients and outpatients at Touro. She has a strong passion for nutrition and bettering one’s health through lifestyle changes.