Weight gain is a common problem during the holiday season, but it can be avoided if you have a plan and a bit of self-discipline. Holiday meals are typically heavy in carbohydrates, so try reducing your carb consumption for the day by replacing mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower.
- 1-2 head of fresh cauliflower or 1-2 bags of frozen
- 4 TBSP butter
- 2 T sour cream
- 2 T or more Parmesan cheese
- Salt, pepper, garlic, and other spices to taste
- Bring a couple quarts of water to a boil in a large pan and add cauliflower.
- Cook until tender- usually about 8-10 minutes.
- When tender, put into large bowl and add other ingredients.
- Use immersion blender or hand mixer to blend until smooth and creamy.
Sprinkle with extra cheese if desired and serve warm.
Julie Fortenberry is a registered dietitian at Touro Infirmary. She obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Southern Mississippi. Julie believes that lifestyle changes and wholesome nutrition are obtainable, and brings real-life understanding to wellness and nutritional counseling.