Healthy tailgate food exists, and this recipe proves it. It’s that time of year where we make our plans based around the Saints Football schedule. This recipe is perfect for cheering on the Saints.
Grilled Stuffed Jalapeño
- 4 center-cut bacon slices
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (about 1 cup)
- 1 ounce extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 14 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded tomato
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon. Combine crumbled bacon, cheeses, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl, stirring well to combine. Divide cheese mixture evenly to fill the pepper halves. Place peppers, cheese sides up, on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cover and grill peppers 8 minutes or until bottoms of peppers are charred and cheese mixture is lightly browned. Place peppers on a serving platter. Sprinkle with cilantro and tomato.
If making these poppers for a party, you can stuff the peppers, cover, and chill. Then grill just before your guests arrive.
Julie Fortenberry is a registered dietitian at Touro Infirmary. She obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Southern Mississippi. Julie believes that lifestyle changes and wholesome nutrition are obtainable, and brings real-life understanding to wellness and nutritional counseling.