Going in for your first mammography can be a stressful and scary time. However, mammography is an important detection tool and can help find problems earlier than with a self-exam. Health experts have different opinions regarding screening frequency. The American Cancer Society suggests an annual screening for women between 45 and 54. Women age 55 and older can have a screening every one to two years. Women should talk with their physicians to determine the appropriate time to begin getting mammograms, based off of individual risk factors.
What to know beforehand:
- Schedule your mammogram for when your breasts are not tender or swollen. This will reduce discomfort and allow for better pictures.
- On exam day, do not wear deodorant or antiperspirant which may show up on the x-ray as white spots.
What to expect during the screening:
- You will be undressed from the waist up.
- During your exam, your breasts will be flattened by the machine.
- The whole test will take approximately 20 minutes.
- It is normal to feel discomfort, but if you feel pain tell the radiologists.
Touro offers comprehensive women’s imaging care at the Women’s Imaging Center on Napoleon Avenue. Our team members excel at offering a positive and comfortable experience for first time and experienced patients. Need to schedule your mammogram? Please give us a call at (504) 897-8600 or visit Touro Imaging online.