Holidays will likely look a little different this year due to COVID-19. However, there are still plenty of ways families can have fun while avoiding the scare of being exposed to or spreading the virus.
Keep in mind general COVID-19 safety for holidays
Keep in mind that anytime you gather with people you do not live with; the risk of infection increases for everyone. Regardless of how you celebrate the fall holidays, keep general COVID-19 precautions in mind:
- Maintain social distancing and limit close contact.
- Wear masks.
- Wash hands frequently.
Thanksgiving is a time when many families travel long distances to celebrate together. Travel increases the chance of getting and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others. If you must travel, be informed of the risks involved.
How can my family celebrate Thanksgiving safely?
Some CDC-recommended, lower-risk activities to celebrate Thanksgiving include:
- Having a small dinner with only people who live in your household
- Preparing traditional family recipes for family and neighbors, especially those at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19, and delivering them in a way that doesn’t involve contact with others
- Having a virtual dinner and sharing recipes with friends and family
- Shopping online rather than in person on the day after Thanksgiving or the next Monday
- Watching sports events, parades, and movies from home
What Thanksgiving activities should I avoid?
Avoid these higher-risk activities to help prevent the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19:
- Going shopping in crowded stores just before, on, or after Thanksgiving
- Participating or being a spectator at a crowded race
- Attending crowded parades
- Using alcohol or drugs, which can cloud judgment and increase risky behaviors
- Attending large indoor gatherings with people from outside of your household
COVID-19 can easily spread from one person to another during traditional holiday activities where we gather as groups. No matter the holiday, we want it to be a safe one for you and your family.
If you or someone you know needs a primary care provider, you can visit touro.com/findadoc or call 897.7777