Your children can help you make this easy dessert that's colorful and good for them to eat. Have all of your supplies and ingredients ready before you begin. Be careful with boiling water and small children.
- 1 (15-ounce) can fruit cocktail (packed in its own juice)
- 1 (3-ounce) package sugar-free gelatin mix, any flavor
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup of cold water
- Place an equal amount of fruit cocktail in each of 4 small bowls.
- Put boiling water into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle in gelatin powder and stir for about 2 minutes. You can let an older child stir, while a younger child watches the clock or counts slowly to 120. Add cold water. Use a ladle to pour gelatin into the bowls over the fruit.
- Put bowls in the refrigerator for 1½ to 2 hours. When gelatin is firm, it's ready. Optional: Top with one tablespoon of vanilla fat-free yogurt.
Each dessert contains approximately 70 calories, less than 1 gram protein, zero grams fat, 13 grams carbohydrate.