Healthy Living Sarah Newton, MS, RD, CNSC
- Cooking spray
- Coffee Mug
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tbsp (or small handful) Shredded Cheese of choice
- ¼ Cup Spinach
- 1 Tbsp diced Onion
- 1 Tbsp diced Bell Pepper
- Diced Broccoli, Asparagus, or other leftover vegetables from your refrigerator
- Fresh cracked Black Pepper
- Garlic and Herb no salt seasoning (if desired)
- Lightly coat coffee mug with cooking spray.
- Crack egg and whisk all ingredients together directly into the mug. Top with Black Pepper and No Salt Seasoning.
- Cook in Microwave for 1 minute, then continuing to cook for 30 second intervals until done. Total cooking time likely around 1 minute 30 seconds, depending on wattage of microwave.
- Serve as is, on Whole Wheat Toast or with 1 serving of Oatmeal.
The more you know:
- Eggs are part of a Heart Healthy Lifestyle and a great source of Protein. It is the ‘company they keep’ such as bacon and sausage that are not advised. Thus, utilize leftover vegetables to give your eggs and omelets a nutrition boost.
- Whole Wheat products such as Wheat Bread and Oatmeal are minimally processed, packed with fiber, and provide additional vitamins and minerals. These pair well with eggs and are encouraged through heart healthy eating due to fiber’s beneficial properties of improving Cholesterol.
- Skip the salt. Salt may increase Blood Pressure, leading to Hypertension, which is a main risk factor of Heart Disease. Replace salt with other seasoning options such as McCormick Garlic and Herb no salt seasoning or Paul Prudhomme Magic Salt Free seasoning.