It’s easy to forget to take your medicine, especially when you take a lot of pills, but to get the best results from medicines, always take them as directed.
Follow these tips to make sure you’re safely taking your medications:
- Make sure you understand how, when, and for how long your medication should be taken
- Know about the side effects of the medications, any drug interactions to avoid, what to do if you miss a dose, and how to store the medicine.
- Have questions about your medication? Contact your pharmacist with any questions or concerns about your medications. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Take the exact dose prescribed to you.
- Follow the dosage schedule, keep a daily record of your medications, and check off each dose as you take it.
- If you’re prescribed a new medication, be sure to mention any other drugs you are taking. Include all over-the-counter drugs, herbs, vitamins, minerals, and other supplements.
- Tell your healthcare provider about any past drug reactions, such as rashes, indigestion, dizziness, or lack of appetite.
- Never take medication in the dark.
- Be sure to only take medications that are prescribed to you.
- Discard old medications properly.
For more information on Touro's Senior Care services and wellness tips on healthy aging, visit touro.com/seniorcare.