Midwives & Doulas in New Orleans
Providing the support you need during pregnancy & delivery
At Touro, we support all birth options whether you would like a certified nurse midwife, a supporting doula, or water birthing and laboring in the birthing tub. Three of our labor and delivery rooms are equipped with a birthing tub that can be used for alleviating pain during a natural birth as well as laboring in the birthing tub.
If you would like to work with a midwife for your care and delivery, our certified nurse midwives at Touro are here to support you. Our midwives work closely with our physicians to make your birth experience is as safe and comforting as possible. Whether you are becoming a mother for the first time or expanding your growing family, our certified midwives will collaborate with our trusted OB/GYNs to give you more birthing choices.
Certified nurse midwives are experts in supporting women in a normal and healthy childbirth experience. Together with OB/GYNs at Touro, our certified nurse midwives are here to provide a safe and personalized birthing experience for each expecting family. They are also licensed to prescribe medications for you during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum care.
A certified nurse midwife can provide the following personalized services for women and newborns:
- Individualized education in prenatal care, labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- A birth plan unique to each patient, which may include natural, water, or medicated/epidural birth
- Prenatal visits
- Medication and tests needed for expecting mothers
At Touro, we also support doulas that you would like to include in your birthing experience before, during, and after your delivery. A doula is a professional who is trained in childbirth and provides continuous support to a mother at every stage of delivery. Doulas are team players who work collaboratively with your OB/GYN or midwife and are uniquely trained to handle the non-medical aspects of birth, including:
- Natural pain management during labor through meditation and breathing exercises
- Support for the expecting mom and her partner, playing a crucial role in helping a partner become more involved in the birthing experience
- Preservation of the memory of childbirth by creating a calming environment
- Assistance with newborn care, family adjustment, and other postpartum needs