Commitment to Quality
As The Place Where Babies Come From, Touro has been a source of life for generations of New Orleanians.
Touro is committed to providing the highest quality, patient-centered care for mothers and babies in New Orleans and surrounding areas, evidenced by our continuous focus on excellence. We are proud to highlight initiatives designed to support optimal health for mother and babies:
AWARDS AND DESIGNATIONS:
- Baby Friendly Designation: In 2018, Touro was designated a Baby-Friendly Birth Facility by Baby Friendly USA, Inc., the U.S. authority for the implementation of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (“BFHI”), a global program sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The initiative encourages and recognizes hospitals and birthing centers that offer an optimal level of care for breastfeeding for mothers and their babies.
- Gift Shining Star Designation – The Louisiana Department of Health – Office of Public Health – Bureau of Family Health awards The Gift designation statewide to Louisiana birthing facilities who improve hospital practices and policies that are aligned with the evidence-based, internationally recognized Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding of the WHO/UNICEF Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative. Touro Infirmary met specific processes and benchmarks, therefore, it has been elevated to the prestigious Gift Shining Star designation, which is the highest designation within The Gift program.
- Blue Distinction Center for Maternity Care - Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana designated Touro as one of the first hospitals to receive the national Blue Distinction® Center+ for Maternity Care designation, a new designation under the Blue Distinction Specialty Care program. The Blue Distinction Centers for Maternity Care program evaluates hospitals on several quality measures, including the percentage of newborns that fall into the category of early elective delivery, an ongoing concern in the medical community.
- Ultrasound Practice Accreditation - Touro’s Maternal Fetal Medicine Clinic is the first practice in New Orleans to be awarded Ultrasound Practice Accreditation by The Ultrasound Practice Accreditation Council of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine in the areas of Obstetric - First Trimester, Obstetric - Second Trimester, and Obstetric - Third Trimester. Touro’s Maternal Fetal Medicine Clinic achieved this recognition by meeting rigorous voluntary guidelines set by the diagnostic ultrasound profession.
- Safe Sleep Champion – Touro Infirmary’s Family Birthing Center earned a Safe Sleep Champion recognition from the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals’ Bureau of Family Health in 2014, completing requirements outlines in the state-wide educational campaign to educate all new mothers and families on safe sleep.
QUALITY INITIATIVES AND STUDIES:
As part of the
Louisiana Perinatal Quality Collaborative (LaPQC), Touro is playing an active role to advance healthcare equity,
implement best practices, and improve outcomes for women and newborns
- Touro Infirmary is proud to be a participating birthing facility in the LaPQC Reducing Maternal Morbidity Initiative.
- Touro implements a variety of safety and quality improvement initiatives, including AIM program implementation designed to improve maternal outcomes. We are also proud to have Touro’s OB/GYNs serving as physician advisers and subject matter experts on the LaPQC.
- Touro is proud to be participating in the “Market Mommas Club”, a breastfeeding incentive program for Medicaid-eligible women who intend to breastfeed or are early in their breastfeeding journey.
- As part of the Health Engagement Network's "10 areas for quality improvement", in 2012 Touro made a commitment to prevent Early Elective Deliveries (EEDs) before 39 weeks. EEDs are births scheduled without a medical reason between 37 and 39 weeks of pregnancy, either by induction or cesarean section. Touro was recognized by the American Hospital Association's Health Engagement Network in 2013 for successfully preventing 68 EEDs the first year after the program was implemented.
- C-Section rates: Touro's 2018 rate for primary cesarean sections is 14.2% and total rate for combined primary and repeat cesareans is 29.7%. Both of these rates falls well below state and national average for C-section.
- Touro's OB Navigator serves as a single point of contact for all patients before, during and after pregnancy to answer questions throughout the journey to parenthood and help connect families to the information and resources they need.
- With support from the Junior League of New Orleans and the Touro Infirmary Foundation, Touro's Family Birthing Center is working to ensure that all families learn the importance of safe sleep and leave the hospital with the tools and education they need to create this safety at home, including a safe "sleep sack" for each baby.
- Touro is a proud supporter of Communities and Hospitals Advancing Maternity Practices program (CHAMPS), which aims to boost breastfeeding rates.
- Touro is the only hospital to offer patients Diapers to Desk Program. The program equips new moms with the confidence and support needed to return to work from maternity leave. The course offers resources to allow new moms to regroup, shift focus, and create a healthy, balanced life, as well as support from other professional working moms.