Touro’s Back in Action Center
Physical & occupational therapy in New Orleans
Touro’s Back in Action Center provides comprehensive physical and occupational therapy services to adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients, as well as case management for patients with orthopedic diagnoses. We also offer therapeutic wellness and women's health services.
Frequently treated conditions include:
- Bursitis - shoulder, hip, and knee
- Conservative management of soft tissue sprains and strains
- Dysfunctions of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine
- Hand therapy/splinting
- Joint replacements - shoulder, hip, and knee
- Orthopedic traumas including fractures and dislocations
- Shoulder - conservative and post-operative rehabilitation
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction (pelvic problems)
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Balance and vestibular disorders
- Urinary incontinence
- Pelvic pain
- Fecal incontinence / bowel dysfunction
The Touro Back in Action Center is dedicated to helping patients restore their mobility and improve their strength. To achieve this goal, we offer a wide range of clinical services customized for each patient.
Our clinical services include:
- Skilled physical therapy and occupational therapy services, including therapeutic exercise, manual therapy, and modalities (heat, ice, ultrasound, traction, electrical stimulation, dry needling)
- Patient/family education
- Functional training, including activities of daily living, postural and body mechanics training, activity pacing, splinting, assessment of adaptive equipment needs, home/work environment modification, and relaxation training
- Therapy of the spine (McKenzie method) with 1 McKenzie certified therapists for mechanical diagnoses
- Aquatic therapy: Following an illness, injury, or surgery, a patient’s pain level or inability to bear weight on an injured area may make exercising in water more tolerable than on land. Water supports the body, reduces joint stress, and provides resistance and assistance to movement. Patients can improve mobility, strength, and function during the healing process through an aquatic exercise program. The Back in Action Center has a large heated pool available for patients, including a lift chair for those who cannot easily negotiate the stairs to get into the pool.
- Lymphedema Treatment Program: This program benefits those who have developed swelling and/or fibrosis (tissue hardening) in upper and/or lower extremities most commonly occurring after surgery or radiation for cancer treatment.
Therapeutic wellness program
Touro’s Therapeutic Wellness Programis a multidisciplinary program – including physical and occupational therapy – that offers preventative treatment targeting chronic conditions, such as pain disorders, headaches, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and cancer. This program is short-term with limited sessions.
The focus is personalized and may include:
- Maintaining or increasing current functional level
- Prevention-focused education
- Restorative yoga and meditation
- Adaptation to disability and lifestyle adjustment
- Developing an individualized fitness program that is patient directed
Women’s health issues
Physical therapy is a helpful tool to assist in treating obstetrics and gynecological patients with a variety of physical complaints or dysfunctions. Touro’s Back in Action Center is an outpatient orthopedic practice with a specialized team of occupational therapists, physical therapists, physical therapy assistants and lymphedema therapists, who are skilled in treating a wide variety of orthopedic and women’s health patients.
Examples of complaints or diagnoses that can benefit from physical/occupational therapy include:
- Sciatica & low back pain
- Sacroiliac dysfunction, Pubic symphysis dysfunction, & coccyalgia
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Postural dysfunction
- Post-partum pain & muscular imbalance
- Pelvic pain
Patients are required to have a prescription or referral from a Louisiana licensed physician, podiatrist, dentist, nurse practitioner, or physician's assistant for Touro’s Back in Action Center. Prescriptions and patient information can be faxed or called into the case manager.
Location & Contact Information
Outpatient Rehabilitation Services (Back in Action)
3715 Prytania Street
New Orleans, LA 70115
Phone number: 504.897.8157
Fax number: 504.897.7041
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday appointments available.