Cardiac Rehabilitation Program in New Orleans
Support for persons living with cardiovascular disease
Cardiac rehabilitation programs are designed to help people who have cardiovascular disease or who are at a high risk of developing this disease. Cardiac rehabilitation helps individuals reach and maintain their highest level of health through a guided regimen of exercise and positive lifestyle change.
At Touro, our Cardiac Rehabilitation program consists of two outpatient phases of rehabilitation:
- Phase II cardiac rehab: Consists of 12 weeks of exercise and education supervised by Cardiovascular Nurses and an Exercise Specialist. During Phase II, the Nurse interviews patients and an individualized exercise and education program is planned. Patients are asked to attend exercise sessions three times a week. Heart rhythms are monitored during the exercise sessions as are blood pressure and physical exertion. Learning sessions in exercise, nutrition, stress management, smoking cessation, weight control, and behavior modification are conducted by the health care team. Exercise sessions take place in the Fitness Center (A5) and are held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 6:30 am - 3 pm.
- Phase III cardiac rehab: A maintenance program designed to assure continuation of proper nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle adjustment. Health education and a regular exercise regimen with blood pressure monitoring before and after exercises are continued during this phase.
Am I a candidate for cardiac rehab?
Persons who may benefit from cardiac rehabilitation include those who have undergone bypass surgery, valve surgery, heart transplant, heart attack, angioplasty, or stent placement; or those who have stable angina and/or vascular disease.
Patients must have the recommendation of a physician in order to be accepted into our program. An exercise stress test may be required at the beginning of the program.
Will My Insurance Cover This Program?
Phase II is generally covered by insurance companies. Phase III, the maintenance phase, is a reasonable-cost program. A check of primary insurance will be made on all applicants prior to the beginning the program.
The benefits of cardiac rehab
Cardiac rehabilitation is a great option for a wide variety of patients and can significantly improve your overall health and well-being.
The four principal benefits of a cardiac rehabilitation program are:
- Information: Patients receive complete, accurate information about all aspects of cardiovascular disease.
- Confidence: Patients will feel self-confident knowing what they can or should not do in their daily living and with their exercise regime.
- Optimal Function: Patients will make faster progress toward their optimal level of lifestyle.
- Prevention: Patients will make those necessary lifestyle adjustments to reduce the risk of future heart problems.